Almost 100 participants from Baltic Sea Region NGOs, academia, municipalities and various transnational projects joined us on 11th June 2019 in Gdansk to take part in 3rd Participation Day.
This years event was organized jointly by the EUSBSR HA Capacity coordinators, Umbrella project, which is led by the Euroregion Baltic, and Union of the Baltic Cities. We invited the stakeholders to come and share their project ideas for future cooperation possibilities in our region.
Please see below the list of projects sent to the organisers and discussed during the event:
- Innovations for a circular and socially coherent economy (25)
- Waste Management and handling Household Waste in the BSR (Sweden)
- Baltic Sea clusters network for innovation in the maritime industry (Poland)
- Remote sensing of marine plastic pollution (Poland)
- Smart Regions 4.0 (Poland)
- Biking South Baltic – More Emotion (Poland)
- Urban mobility – smart and sustainable (7)
- Antimicrobial resistance and pharmaceuticals in the Baltic Sea Region environment (6)
- Operational consortium (Poland)
- Competence supply (12)
- SECiSo – supported education to re-integrate early school leavers (Sweden)
- STEAM – increasing the attractiveness of science and technology (Finland)
- Digital employment – how digital solutions can be used for workers’ continue learning (Finland)
- EduPython (Poland)
- Other proposals (for example; access to clean water, green technologies, rural development) (17)
- Baltic Cultural Strategy Network – forming a network of those cities in the BSR that have been European Capital of Culture (Sweden)
- Application of satellite data for environment management (Poland)
- Enhancing stakeholder participation in the EUSBSR by honing their sustainability skills (Poland)
- Changes in agricultural production due to climate change (Poland)
- ESTLAT harbours (Latvia)
- Coastal hiking (Latvia)
- Vertical wind power-stations (Poland)
- Studio visit (Poland).
At first, participants were welcomed by the Vice Marshal of the pomorskie Region and ERB Board Member – Mr Wiesław Byczkowski, followed by Anders Bergstrom, representing both HA Capacity and PA Education as their coordinator. He also explained the concept of Participation Day. They were followed by three inspirational speeches from the representatives of 3 different sectors:
Mr. Mikko Lohikoski, Union of the Baltic Cities
• Private sector
Mr. Tomasz Szymczak, Starter Incubator and Gdańsk Entrepreneurship Foundation (ppt here: Participation Day Gdańsk Tomasz Szymczak
• 3rd sector
Ms. Magda Leszczyna-Rzucidło, Euroregion Baltic (ppt here: PD2019 MagdaLeszczynaRzucidloEuroregionBaltic)
After a short break, Anders Bergström, Horizontal Action Coordinator, HA Capacity presented RU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region in brief – presentation here: EUSBSR_HA_CAP_Participation_Day_2019_Gdansk_20190611
All five workshops are linked to the overall theme of the Annual Forum addressing the growing challenges such as depopulation, ageing, migrations, new production and consumption models, but also new social, cultural, mobility and labour market patterns, which influence our everyday behaviours and attitudes. The introduction by the PA and HA Coordinators provided an overview of existing development processes in the five thematic areas including possibilities to take part in existing
1. Innovations for a circular and socially coherent economy – Ms Esa Kokkonen, PA INNO
2. Urban mobility – smart and sustainable
3. Antimicrobial resistance and pharmaceuticals in the BSR environment) PA Health Hazards – AMR and pharmaceuticals in BSR region
4. Competence supply – Daria Akhutina, CBSS
5. Other proposals (for example; access to clean water, green technologies, rural development – full list of the projects is attached here: EUSBSR_Participation_Day_2019_PROJECTS)
Thank you to all the #UMBRELLA partners for being with us in Gdansk and thank you to all the participants for fruitful discussion, lots of great ideas and fantastic networking sessions!
As for the Participation Day concept – we will see you next year in Finland!